Leaders and helpers
Training, information and support
There are several Safe Ministry with Children training modules, which support healthy vibrant Church communities. The training is tailored to be relevant to a range of people and situations within ministry with children and young people. The training menu can be found here.
The Safe Ministry with Children training is designed to be delivered in a range of ways, to suit individual groups, allowing for self-paced learning and facilitated discussion. The facilitated discussion meets the need to develop relationship, foster discussion, encourage questions and provide a feedback loop. The Synod is in the process of enhancing access to this training (including online), and supporting the capacity for approved facilitators to deliver the training.
Facilitators in each presbytery will provide training opportunities throughout the year. Congregations wishing to access this training option may do so by contacting their presbytery’s Safe Ministry support person or emailing the Synod Office.
There is an information and support network for leaders and coordinators. This network provides information bulletins. To join the group click here.
One of the key elements of creating safe ministry with children is screening and selecting people who will be entrusted with positions involving children.
Once people are appointed to work with children in congregations, it is important that they receive support and encouragement. We recommend that this occurs soon after they commence and annually. Leaders and helpers should be acknowledged and supported by the congregation and commissioned each year.
Forms and resources for leaders and helpers
- Selecting leaders and helpers [Process and form ] TOO-SMC-01.1.01_v1.0
- Role descriptions [Reference ] TOO-SMC-01.1.02_v1.0
- Interviewing the applicant [Reference ] TOO-SMC-01.1.03_v1.0
- Checking with referees [Reference ] TOO-SMC-01.1.04_v1.0
- Letter of appointment [Template ] TOO-SMC-01.1.05_v1.0
- Driver Information form [Template ] TOO-SMC-01.1.06_v1.0
- Statement of personal commitment [Template ] TOO-SMC-01.1.07_v1.0
- New starter check-in, interview form [Form ] TOO-SMC-01.1.08_v1.0
- Annual review, feedback and discussion form [Form ] TOO-SMC-01.1.09_v1.0
- Liturgy [Reference ] TOO-SMC-01.1.10_v1.0