Senior Accountant – Full-time
Internal Applicants Only
The Uniting Church in Australia is the third largest Christian denomination in Australia. In Queensland, we have around 250 congregations and a number of schools, colleges and community services (such as Blue Care, UnitingCare Queensland and Wesley Mission Queensland).
We are seeking an individual to join our Finance team and focus on providing leadership and management of financial accounting systems and operations across the Queensland Synod ensuring services are cost effective, efficient and aligned to the Church’s strategic plans. In addition, assist the Finance Manager and whole of Finance function in preparing appropriate financial statements and year-end certification from management ensuring that they reflect sufficiently the corresponding financial records and reports.
The position’s key responsibilities include:
- Manage the operations of Finance efficiently and effectively to meet the service requirements of the Synod Office, agencies, congregations and other internal and external customers.
- Provide leadership and direction to the Finance function which includes recording and analysis of financial and non-financial transactions for reporting to internal and external key stakeholders, ensuring that journal entries prepared by the Accounting team are complete, correct and adequately substantiated.
- Review the preparation of audited financial statements and production of management reports (including FIP Board, Committees & Commissions, ELT) and the required periodic reconciliation process.
- Promote and maintain a positive customer service focus and cooperative interface in the delivery of financial information services.
- Develop a full understanding of the operations of the Synod office and the church entities in which services are provided to and promote continuous improvement and simplification of process initiatives through collaboration.
- Oversee the completion and manage BAS and FBT taxation returns and manage corporate information within the ATO website on the basis of valid supporting documentation.
- Liaise and engage in effective communication with internal and external stakeholders, including but not limited to auditors, legislators, presbytery and other externals customers.
- Provide leadership, perform regular supervision, conduct performance appraisal /management and facilitate professional development of direct reports.
- Mentor accounting staff, other Finance staff members and relevant managers on applicable accounting standards (including changes thereto) and the relevant financial controls and procedures to promote awareness and provide updated technical knowledge within Finance and the broader Synod office.
- Oversee the coordination of various Finance projects
What do you need to be successful in this role?
- Relevant business tertiary qualification
- Proven experience in driving efficiencies and providing leadership to the diverse functions in accounting operations and financial reporting, meeting deadlines and presenting complex financial information in a user friendly manner.
- Comprehensive knowledge of current Accounting standards and audit requirements.
- Proven ability to report and work directly with Finance Manager and other members of senior management, and liaise with internal and external stakeholders.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to draft correspondence and interact with a diverse range of people.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, manage and develop direct reports
- Demonstrated commitment to high quality outcomes including high attention to detail, accuracy and confidentiality.
- Strong team orientation and a willingness to contribute to a positive working environment.
- Demonstrated experience in the management and use of a complex treasury and financial system including the proficient use of the Microsoft Office suite of products.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and resolve complex issues and mentor/coach staff.
Remuneration negotiations with the successful applicant will be within the applicable remuneration range, commensurate with knowledge, skill and ability.
This vacancy is only available to current employees of the Queensland Synod office. To apply, please review the position description and email your expression of interest to email@example.com. This only needs to be a short email stating your interest. Further information may be requested later.
Applications close COB Wednesday 31 October 2018.
Uniting Church in Australia, Queensland Synod is committed to being a child safe, child friendly organisation and for all children who come into contact with our services we will provide welcoming, safe and nurturing services, prevent child abuse and neglect within our services and appropriately and immediately address child abuse and neglect if it does occur.
The Uniting Church in Australia, Queensland Synod is an equal opportunity employer committed to Uniting in Christ; acting with love, living with hope, witnessing in faith, working for justice.