Full-time Group Claims Specialist
The Uniting Church in Australia (the Church) is a large uniquely Australian Christian denomination in Australia with heritage from historical reformed evangelical denominations. In Queensland, the Uniting Church has around 250 congregations and has schools, colleges and large community services (such as UnitingCare Queensland and Wesley Mission Queensland).
We are seeking an individual to join our Risk and Compliance team. The focus of this role is to provide leadership and support to the Queensland Synod and its agencies across the main insurance functions such as property, medical malpractice and liability claims.
The position’s key responsibilities include:
- Monitor and manage insurance claims made by congregations and agencies, including but not necessarily limited to:
- interpretation and correct application of insurance policy wordings;
- establishing adequate and accurate claims reserves;
- maintaining and updating insurance system claim records;
- attending mediation and conciliation meetings;
- dealing with and appointment of legal firms as and when required; and
- negotiating settlement of claim matters consistently with insurance policy provisions and/or specific directions by the Queensland Synod; and
- raising claim settlement requests, invoice payments; etc.
- Comply with the Insurance Code of Practice, Insurance Contracts Act and Legislative requirements.
- Identify fraud indicators and claims leakage issues and make recommendations as necessary.
- Administer and co-ordinate insurance claim tasks / projects relevant to ensuring best practice and reduction of risk across the Queensland Synod.
What do you need to be successful in this role?
- Certificate or Diploma level Insurance or related studies and/or significant relevant insurance experience.
- Sound Knowledge of the Insurance Code of Practice, Insurance Contracts and relevant legislation.
- Membership of the Australian and New Zealand Institute of Insurance and Finance (ANZIIF) would be well regarded
- Experience, Attributes and Skills:
- Previous experience working across many insurance claims, with a particular focus on property, medical malpractice, industrial special risks and liability claims.
- Knowledge of Workers Compensation claims would be advantageous but not essential
- Demonstrated experience in assessing a claim once it has been lodged.
- Ability to work with many stakeholders and manage competing tasks
- Proven experience using insurance data systems such as Riskconsole
The minimum base salary (exclusive of superannuation) for this position is $89,000.00 per year. Remuneration negotiations with the successful candidate will be within the applicable remuneration range.
To apply, send a completed Application Cover Sheet, CV and cover letter addressing the selection criteria to email@example.com.
Enquiries in relation to the position can be made directly to Michael Gillam, Manager Risk and Compliance on 07 3377 9709.
Applications close 12 June 2020.
Download the position description.
Uniting Church in Australia, Queensland Synod is committed to being a child safe, child friendly organisation and for all children who come into contact with our services we will provide welcoming, safe and nurturing services, prevent child abuse and neglect within our services and appropriately and immediately address child abuse and neglect if it does occur.
The Uniting Church in Australia, Queensland Synod is an equal opportunity employer committed to Uniting in Christ; acting with love, living with hope, witnessing in faith, working for justice.