Finance Manager (Full-time)
The Uniting Church in Australia is the third largest Christian denomination in Australia. In Queensland, we have around 250 congregations and a number of schools, colleges and community services (such as Blue Care, UnitingCare Queensland and Wesley Mission Queensland). With a revenue of $50m and funds under management of approximately $400m, the Synod office has a diverse range of services and functions, including mission services, corporate functions, business enterprises and an in-house treasury service for the Queensland Synod.
We are seeking a change agent to lead our Finance team, focusing on providing customer focused financial management services to the Synod office and treasury services to entities within the Queensland Synod. The successful candidate will deliver contemporary financial management and treasury practice. Key to their success will be the development of the finance team and leading it through change to be more efficient and innovative.
The position’s key responsibilities include:
- Develop the financial and treasury strategy for the Synod office and ensure these strategies are converted to operational reality through the operational plan 2017-2020
- Compliance with all legislation, regulations and professional standards including responsibility for the preparation of the annual statutory financial statements
- Overall responsibility of the taxation affairs of the Synod office and provision of taxation advice to other entities with the Queensland Synod
- Management reporting, budgeting and forecasting
- Value add by understanding and analysing the businesses operating in the Synod office, and Boards and committees that source information from the Synod office
- Develop a quality management system for finance and treasury
- Assess business requirements with a view sourcing and implementing financial management software in accordance with Enterprise Architecture and the Technology Roadmap
- Maintain and further develop investment policies and processes to generate greater returns to the Church as a whole
- Review business cases and make loan assessments.
- Maintain and develop effective processes and controls for managing treasury funds within the Synod, including developing and improving cash forecasting and liquidity requirements
- Develop and grow individuals and the team to embed stability and ensure appropriate succession planning
- Implement the change agenda
What do you need to be successful in this role?
- Relevant tertiary qualifications in accounting or business
- Membership of CPA Australia or Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand
- Demonstrated experience in the leadership and management of a finance and treasury function, including a diverse range of enterprises, preferably in the not for profit sector, over a minimum period of 5 years
- Demonstrated experience in moving a team through a significant change process that results in a culture of excellence and innovation
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement strategic, operational plans and business management systems, using project methodology, meeting appropriate parameters of time cost and quality
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complex concepts with a broad range of people in varying contexts
- Commitment to working within the purpose and values of the Uniting Church in Australia, Queensland Synod and adhering to the policies, organisational requirements and processes
The minimum base salary (exclusive of superannuation) for this position is from $130,000 per year. Remuneration negotiations with the successful candidate will be within the applicable remuneration range.
The position description provides further details about the role and the organisational structure. Applications (CV and cover sheet) can be emailed to email@example.com. Enquiries in relation to the position can be made directly to Peter Cranna, Executive Director Strategic Resources on 07 3377 9865.
Applications close Friday 1 June 2018.
Uniting Church in Australia, Queensland Synod is committed to being a child safe, child friendly organisation and for all children who come into contact with our services we will provide welcoming, safe and nurturing services, prevent child abuse and neglect within our services and appropriately and immediately address child abuse and neglect if it does occur.
The Uniting Church in Australia, Queensland Synod is an equal opportunity employer committed to Uniting in Christ; acting with love, living with hope, witnessing in faith, working for justice.