The Uniting Church in Australia (the Church) is a large uniquely Australian Christian denomination in Australia with heritage from historical reformed evangelical denominations. In Queensland, the Uniting Church has around 250 congregations and has schools, colleges and large community services (such as UnitingCare Queensland and Wesley Mission Queensland).
We are seeking an individual to join our Legal team and focus on providing direct support to the General Counsel by assisting the Legal function of the Church on a daily basis.
The position’s key responsibilities include:
- Provide assistance to the legal function as directed by the General Counsel
- Knowledge and agility to support the General Counsel as required across the legal function including but not limited to:
- administration of the Church’s participation in the National Redress Scheme (including statutory reporting),
- facilitation of the Church’s counselling obligations regarding redress applicants assistance with all aspects of compensation claims (PIPA and litigated),
- undertaking legal research;
- drafting correspondence;
- assisting in briefing and engaging with external legal advisors;
- assistance on property transactions and other legal issues relevant to the Church operations,
- research on relevant legal developments, and
- associated administrative tasks including the maintenance of accurate file records.
What do you need to be successful in this role?
- Tertiary qualification in law.
- Admission or entitlement to practice as a legal practitioner in the state of Queensland.
- Must hold a current Practicing Certificate.
- 3 to 5 years post admission experience in dealing with PIPA claims and associated litigation. Experience in property law, administrative law, litigation and commercial law is an advantage
- Ability to prioritise tasks and manage a varied workflow, including the ability to initiate, follow through and complete tasks for matters under the direction of the General Counsel.
- Ability to quickly obtain a working understanding of the Constitution, Regulations and policies of the Uniting Church in Australia.
- Demonstrated high level interpersonal and written communication skills and the ability to liaise effectively, diplomatically and discretely at all levels within the Church, its agencies and key stakeholders within boards and committees of the Church on confidential and highly sensitive legal matters
The minimum base salary (exclusive of superannuation) for this position is $78,700.00 per year. Remuneration negotiations with the successful candidate will be within the applicable remuneration range.
Refer to the position description for further information.
To apply, send a completed Application Cover Sheet, CV and cover letter (of no more than 2 pages) addressing the selection criteria to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Enquiries in relation to the position can be made directly to Malcolm Hinton on 07 3377 9758
Applications close Friday 23 April 2021.
Uniting Church in Australia, Queensland Synod is committed to being a child safe, child friendly organisation and for all children who come into contact with our services we will provide welcoming, safe and nurturing services, prevent child abuse and neglect within our services and appropriately and immediately address child abuse and neglect if it does occur.
The Uniting Church in Australia, Queensland Synod is an equal opportunity employer committed to Uniting in Christ; acting with love, living with hope, witnessing in faith, working for justice.