Old Testament, Hebrew and Homiletics Lecturer
A full-time faculty position from Semester 1, March 2021
The Uniting Church in Australia (the Church) is a large uniquely Australian Christian denomination in Australia whose heritage lies in reformed evangelical denominations. In Queensland, the Uniting Church is comprised of 250 congregations as well as schools, colleges and large community services (such as UnitingCare Queensland and Wesley Mission Queensland).
We are seeking an individual to join our faculty team at Trinity College Queensland, to contribute to the college’s unaccredited (e.g. lay education), graduate, and post-graduate programs by offering lectures in Old Testament studies, and to a lesser extent, Homiletics.
- Develop course content and multimedia content related to the interpretation and application of the Old Testament within a Christian context.
- Remain research active in the field of Old Testament studies and engage in professional development through participation in conferences and professional associations.
- Offer an aspirational model of Old Testament scholarship and preaching that promotes Trinity College Queensland within the church and the wider community; this includes teaching and preaching, collegiality, and local church involvement.
- In consultation with the director, carry out additional administrative roles assigned to faculty members; actively advise the library manager on purchases in the areas of Old Testament and Homiletics.
- PhD in Old Testament studies.
- An active interest in effective pedagogy and preaching.
- Proficiency in reading Biblical Hebrew.
- Membership of the Uniting Church in Australia and a commitment and understanding of the mission and ethos of the Uniting Church.
- A track record of being time-efficient and contributing to a positive workplace environment.
- Well-received inquiry-based teaching/preaching experience in lay contexts.
- A capacity and desire to relate academic learning to the life of Christian faith.
- A capacity to manage technology associated with the offering of blended learning.
The successful candidate will receive the Queensland Synod stipend payment and a 20% stipend margin will apply. In addition, they will also receive housing, travel and study allowances.
Download position description
To apply, send a completed application cover sheet, CV and cover letter (addressing the selection criteria) to email@example.com.
Enquiries in relation to the position can also be made directly to Dr Paul Jones, Principal of Trinity College Queensland at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications close 6 September 2020. The position commences in March 2021. Please note that applicants must be permitted to work in Australia with no restriction on hours.
Uniting Church in Australia, Queensland Synod is committed to being a child safe, child friendly organisation and for all children who come into contact with our services we will provide welcoming, safe and nurturing services, prevent child abuse and neglect within our services and appropriately and immediately address child abuse and neglect if it does occur.