The Period of Discernment (POD) is a yearlong adventure in faith which the Uniting Church offers its members to:
- learn more about faith, discipleship and the church
- learn more about themselves, their passions, gifts and character
And through this process to discern where God might be calling them to exercise their gifts in growing the kingdom of God, whether that be:
The Period of Discernment has the following elements to achieve this:
- ministry experience
- six months experiencing a wide variety of ministries in the Uniting Church and wider community
- six months experiencing in-depth one ministry whether that be in church, community or workplace
- biblical study
- a discipleship action/reflection course
- your own journaling
- mentoring: someone who will travel the journey with you and help you discern where God is leading you
Any member of the Uniting Church can do a Period of Discernment. Discuss it with your local minister and register through your presbytery who will appoint a mentor in consultation with you.
While there is no cost to the Period of Discernment in itself, the study at Trinity College Queensland costs money. To find out if you are eligible for FEE-HELP, please call Trinity on 07 3377 9950.
The Period of Discernment is a process approved by the National Assembly in 1997 to enable the church and individuals together, to discern God’s call on their life for future ministry and where our individual ministry lies. More information available on the Period of Discernment guidelines.